What is the GROW Model?
The GROW Model for Coaching is the most popular coaching framework used by managers and executive coaches. GROW is an acronym for the coaching model:
- Reality (i.e., current situation)
- Way Forward (or Will)
The key to making the GROW model for coaching work effectively is asking great questions. Consider using these until you are more comfortable with coming up with your own.
“Goals” GROW Coaching Questions:
- What goal do you want to achieve?
- Why are you hoping to achieve that goal?
- How specific is that goal?
- How will you know when it’s completed?
- When will you complete it?
“Reality” GROW Coaching Questions:
- What is the current situation?
- How is your performance now different than where it will be when you achieve your goal?
- What are your current strengths in this area?
- What are your current weaknesses in this area?
“Options” GROW Coaching Questions:
- How can you achieve your goal?
- How can you close the gap between your reality today and where you want to be?
- Who could help with this?
- What resources do you need to achieve your goal?
- And what else could you do?
“Way Forward” GROW Coaching Questions:
- What actions will you take to achieve your goal?
- What obstacles could stop you? How will you handle them when they come up?
- And what else from your options list will you actually do?
- On a scale of one to ten, how committed are you to this plan?