Leading others through change is the critical competency of influencing and motivating others to embrace a change journey in a positive and productive manner.
By completing this activity, and returning to it again in the future, you can make leading change a powerful skill.
8-Step Kotter Process for Leading Change
Harvard Business School Professor of Leadership, Dr. John Kotter, invented the 8-Step Process for Leading Change.
Pick a project or initiative that impacts your team and use the questions below, based on the Kotter framework, to rally your team through the change journey.
- URGENCY: How will you create a sense of urgency?
- COALITION: Which influencers will you enlist to support the change?
- VISION: Co-create a compelling vision for change.
- ENLIST: Communicate the vision to enlist volunteers.
- EMPOWER: Empower volunteers to take action; remove obstacles.
- WINS: Focus on short-term objectives and publicize wins.
- BUILD: Build on wins and sustain ongoing change efforts.
- INSTITUTE: Connect the new behaviors to new success and make sure they replace the old ways.
After completing this activity, consider leaving a reflection in the LEADx app using the Coaching Plan Activity “Reflect” button.