According to Dr. Carol Dweck, a “growth mindset” is the belief that skills and intelligence can be improved with effort and persistence. People with a growth mindset embrace challenges, persist through obstacles, learn from criticism and seek out inspiration in others’ success.
By completing this activity and returning to it again in the future, you can strengthen your growth mindset.
Activities to Boost Your Growth Mindset
Use the list of possible activities below to help brainstorm actions you’ll take in the upcoming week.
- Think of a task you’ve put off or previously quit and take it up again with a mindset that failure is an inevitable part of the learning process.
- Talk to a customer about an area of their business that you usually don’t focus on. Ask them to explain anything you don’t fully understand.
- Join an employee resource group (ERG) as an ally and focus on supporting people from a different background than you.
- Catch yourself making a mistake or “failing” at something, and pause to reframe it as a positive opportunity for growth.
- Decide upon a new learning or career goal. Write it down in a journal or in your smartphone using the S.M.A.R.T. goals format.
- Ask someone you respect for the chance to pick their brain over a cup of coffee or lunch; ask them to share times they failed at something but used that experience to help them to get to where they are today.
After completing this activity, consider leaving a reflection in the LEADx app using the Coaching Plan Activity “Reflect” button.