Download the blank Development Wheel which you can use to help begin a training conversation with an employee.
Here are the 8 steps again in case you missed them:
- Pick an employee.
- Break their role down into 4-6 separate competencies or skills.
- Create an assessment on a Word document with simple questions. Have one question for each competency.
- Ask your employee to rate themselves on each question on a scale of 1-10.
- Transfer their scores to a Development-Wheel-Templates
- Choose two areas (along with their input) to focus on for the next 2 months.
- Transfer ownership by asking them i.e. “What’s it going to take to go from a “6” to an “8”?
- Follow up weekly for a quick check in on their progress.
Additional Questions to Consider
In this area what has worked well in the past for you?
How will you know that you have made progress in this area? What should we look for?
Who would you consider to be a role model in this area? Why so?
What’s the very first thing you can do for an immediate improvement?
What’s the best thing I can do to help you with this?
What would it mean for you and your employees if you became a 10 in that area?