Go ask each of your team members: Walk me through what makes a good work day for you.*
This simple request will get to the heart of what’s important to your team from a culture experience – and it’s surprisingly more effective than “Do you like working here?”
Then show that you care about the answer:
Pay rapt attention. Take notes. Dig deeper. Ask for specifics. Ask for the top three.
Then consider and evaluate –
- Any patterns? Interesting one-offs?
- Is this type of work day regularly possible in your workplace?
- Does your team’s vision of a good work day match the type of work day you want in your workplace?
- Where is your culture out of alignment with what you would like to create on a daily basis?
- Where are team members’ expectations out of alignment with what’s possible and desired?
Chances are you will hear a variety of responses like:
- Start with a good strong cup of coffee with real cream.
- Unexpected distractions, chaos or crisis are kept at bay and I’m able to get done what I set out to do.
- We work together as team to come up with a creative solution – and potential solutions are considered.
- Meetings result in meaningful dialogue and real deal actionable outcomes.
- I can depend on my co-workers to carry their weight.
- I have a chance to both get my work done and connect with my co-workers.
- I make a difference for our clients.
- I contribute to the team in a meaningful way.
- People respond to my questions in a timely fashion so I can keep moving forward.
- I end the day with a sense of accomplishment and clarity on what I need to make happen tomorrow.
*Now I’m curious — how would you answer this?
To take a more in-depth look at this and other enlightening workplace culture issues, check out Culture Works: How to Create Happiness in the Workplace. Both the book and the book/workbook set are available for purchase.
Kris Boesch is the CEO and Founder of Choose People, a company that transforms company cultures, increases employee happiness and boosts the bottom-line. She is a nationally renowned speaker and workplace culture expert. Boesch is also the author of Culture Works: How to Create Happiness in the Workplace and developer of the Choose People 360° Culture Audit. Kris is also a proud mother, dancing diva and dog lover.