Strategic vision is a critical thinking process that analyzes business dynamics, creates a plan, and communicates the strategy to others.
This short self-assessment will help you to identify your current level of strategic vision and can help you to identify areas for improvement.
Answer YES or NO to each statement below, keeping track of your total yes responses.
- I balance present-day execution with planning for the future.
- I know our organization’s business model, including where our revenue comes from and where our highest costs are.
- I know our position in the market, including where we are a leader, where we lag, where we are growing market share, and where we are losing market share.
- I’m able to explain our organization’s strategy to team members.
- I’m familiar with our organization’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
- I’m current on changes that might affect our organization, including market, economic, social, political, and technological trends.
- I’ve thought about competitors' different moves in the future and how we might best respond to them.
- I ask strategic questions appropriately in business meetings.
- I ask strategic questions of my customers (whether internal or external).
- I make sure team members know how their work aligns with the organization’s goals and strategy.
How many YES answers do you have?
- If your total number of YES answers is less than 6, you should prioritize developing your strategic vision.
- If your total number of YES answers is 6 to 8, you are likely doing a good job with strategic vision but have room for improvement.
- If your total number of YES answers is 9 or higher, you are strong in strategic vision.
Review your “no” answers to identify areas for improvement.
After completing this activity, consider leaving a reflection in the LEADx app using the Coaching Plan Activity “Reflect” button.