Leaders actively involve others, leverage individual strengths, promote trust, and foster collaboration. Like all leadership behaviors, enabling others takes self-reflection, commitment, and practice. This week, spend time increasing the level of mutual trust between you and one particular team member.
- Select one person on your team who you think can increase performance if you better enable them to act.
- What have you done or said in the past to this person that might have damaged trust or led them to feel powerless in some way?
- What can you do now to understand their strengths better? What can you do to leverage their strengths? Which tasks and projects match their strengths?
- What project or task can you give to them, and while being clear on the objective, let them pursue it the way they want to without micromanagement?
- What can you do to let them know that it’s ok to fail and make mistakes (within reason), especially if it's in the pursuit of experimentation and innovation?
After completing this activity, consider leaving a reflection in the LEADx app using the Coaching Plan Activity “Reflect” button.